I read an article about life's lessons from people 37 years of age and older to people in their 30s. It was decent, but I felt like it was missing something: truth. I meet so many people in my line of work. I'd like to share with you what they've said or made clear to me.
1. Get on your life's path-“If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things.”-Einstein. That is number one because I am aware of it more than any other. Everyone needs a life's goal. The people without it are total wrecks.
2. Adopt a new family, cherish the family you love. A lot of people were born into families that they hate. Then married into families that they love. I suggest you let that happen if that is the hand that you are dealt. The advice about getting rid of the negetivity around you goes for the family you were born into as well.
3. Cherish your circle of friends. Your spouse and kids are your real family most often, then your friends.
4. Have kids later rather than sooner. Every single one of my clients that waited to have kids is happier than the ones that rushed into having them around 30. There is not a single exception.
5. One person has to play the leading role in your relationship and one person has to play the supporting role. Hybrid couples are not happy and are less attracted to one another. Generally men play the lead and women play the support. It doesn't have to be that way. Most couples are happiest that way.
6. Your learned traits will take you much farther than your born traits. My 55+ year olds are almost all further along physically than my 20 year olds. Their work ethic is so greatly better than the work ethic of a 20 year old that the difference in physicality plays little actual roll.
7. Your alcohol habits will catch up to you. Many of my clients over the years have developed a whole new definition of alcoholism that literally no one else in the entire world agrees with. Many people believe their circle of friends is the entire world.
*Bonus Tip: Take time to get to know yourself. Spend time in silence. The more the better. It says a lot of a person that can handle their own thoughts. Get to know your life's plan: the thing you are here to learn or do. Reunite with that plan, be conscious of it as much as is humanly possible.